Dying trees

We have mature trees that are dying and don't know why or what to do about it. Can your office help?

Patrick County Virginia

Hello...I am sorry to hear about your mature trees dying. Typically, the older the tree, the more difficult the ability to correct problems, and, also the less options you have. Of course, with an unlimited budget, one can spend tens of thousands to ultimately "prolong the inevitable". I suggest you have a knowledgeable forester or arborist look at your tree. I am a certified arborist, but typically refrain from residential/priviate inquiries. Much of my efforts have been involved with public grounds/institutions and sensitive areas upon request. I am physically housed in Halifax County VCE office, but can both recommend someone to you, and I would be willing to visit as a last resort when I am in the area, which could be sooner or later. For now see http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/findanarborist.aspx

Also, I see you mentioned "mature trees". Are they oak? Maple? etc. or perhaps you are uncertain. Please feel free to email me a photo to jasonf@vt.edu or email me directly if you wish to continue getting your issue resolved. Different tree species respond differently to treatments (ie: pruning, fertilization, fungicides, etc.)