Pruning Assistance

I have semi dwarf fruit trees and blueberries that I need to prune. However, I am terrified to prune because I really don't know what I am doing. Can an expert come out to my place and show me how to properly prune? 10 trees and 5 blueberry bushes.

Linn County Oregon

Pruning fruit trees and blueberries need not be scary! OSU Extension offers great resources to help you understand the benefits of pruning and how to do so properly.

Check out this free download, Training and Pruning Your Home Orchard, for instructions on pruning fruit trees.

For blueberries there are a additional options, a video (it's a little old, but the pruning science is still valid!) and a free download called Growing Blueberries in Your Home Garden.

Check with the OSU Extension Linn County office for annual fruit tree hands-on pruning classes offered for a nominal fee. (The 2017 class offerings were held in January & mid-February.) Unfortunately, we aren't able to come out and prune your trees. You could check with a want ad service like Craigslist or the newspaper to see if someone could be hired to come out-just make sure that they have some experience!

Good luck and thanks for using Ask An Expert!

Thank you. I didn't expect you to come out and do it for me lol. I wanted you show me how on my own plants. Thank you though. I will watch the videos and read the pamphlets again (I had already looked at all of that and still didn't feel confident).