Alge Control

Asked February 16, 2017, 11:29 AM EST

I have a small pond, 1/2 acre, on a piece of undeveloped property in South Dorchester Co. The land is considered marshland. Once warmer weather comes the pond is totally covered with what I think is filamentous alge. The pond is no more than 3' deep. I have put 2 wood duck boxes in the pond and can not see how any baby ducks can survive as soon there will be no open water. Do you have any recommendations on how I can control this problem ? Thanks,

Dorchester County Maryland algae pond algae algae control pond mangement algae in pond

The Home and Garden Information Center has information on its website about small ornamental ponds. Our website has two fact sheets in the Information Library about aquatic gardening (refers to algae, too). Look under the Ornamental section.

For large ponds, please contact Jennifer Dindinger, who handles the Lower Eastern Shore.
Email: jdindinger@umd.edu or phone: 240-393-7915.