Need help with fencing

Asked February 11, 2017, 11:00 AM EST

Hi I grow food to eat it as I'm on a limited budget. I rent an apartment on an estate & have a sizable plot that I've gardened for several years. I have plastic mesh fencing around it. My problem is the lawn service bombs my plot with grass clippings from all sides. I ask my landlord & the lawn guys every year if they could aim the mowers away from the garden instead of at it, to no avail. They laugh it off & say it good mulch. Its very frustrating, my entire garden is seeded with grass & weeds once a week. Leafy plants, vegetables, fruit are coated with grass promoting rot & seedlings & blooms destroyed by the forceful blasts of exhaust & clippings. If I had $1000's of dollars I would install solid fencing panels but they are cost prohibitive at $80-$100 ea for 6 feet. I tried black construction silt fencing but was told it was too ugly to keep up. I have a few row covers but cant cover it all & they are expensive. I buy garden fabric to try & cover between rows but the fabric & staples are also expensive...A friend told me about chicken wire that is encased in plastic? I searched for this but haven't found it... I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you

Baltimore County Maryland vegetable garden mowing excessive grass clippings

Here are some suggestions. Perhaps you can plant buffer strips 3-4 feet wide on the long areas. Plant pollinator strips or a double row of sunflowers.

You may also be interested in trying micro mesh (example: Territorial Seed Company). This is like a row cover which excludes small insects but will not trap excess heat in mid-summer like row covers.