Hi, Starting in November I started seeing a small animal in our tree at...

Asked February 9, 2017, 9:09 AM EST

Hi, Starting in November I started seeing a small animal in our tree at night. It wasn't until I put a bird feeder out in December , that I started seeing it more frequently ( not surprising) I believe there's more then one. The tree is about 15 feet from our deck and I can tell it's about the size of a chipmunk and extremely fast. It doesn't matter what the weather is like, we had a crazy snow storm one night and he/she just kept going to the feeder and back up the tree for a few hours. He's definitely nocturnal, the only thing I found on-line was a flying squirrel, can you help me identify this little animal? I'm trying to get my son-in- laws deer cam.

Mahoning County Ohio

It certainly sounds like a flying squirrel! In Ohio we have one species, the southern flying squirrel. Like other squirrels, they feed on acorns, hickory nuts, and other mast but they will also readily visit bird feeders, as you have seen. Enjoy - they are a neat species to have around!

Hi-

Anytime you need assistance locally, please contact our office
Mahoning County, OSU Extension
490 S. Broad St, Canfield, OH 44406
330-533-5538

We have a plant and pest clinic to help you with these items.

You can read our weekly Q&A and other articles at http://vindy.com/valleygrows