Muscarine poisoning

Asked February 6, 2017, 2:04 PM EST

In over 20 years on this property, we have never had a problem with dogs and mushrooms. But this year we have had 3 cases of muscarine poisoning with our two dogs. I'm pretty sure it is muscarine because there has been severe uncontrollable drooling and no liver damage, tho the dog was kept in the hospital 2 nights because of the severity of symptoms. The first time we had about 30 varieties of mushrooms, so had no idea which were the culprits. I made a sweep yesterday and attached are 3 of the 4 varieties I encountered. The fourth was a black morel type that I believe is edible (why would someone want to eat something that looks like deer poop?). I would like to know if any of these are dangerous, as well as a list, if possible, of native toxic mushrooms in Douglas County. We're at 1000 feet, mixed pasture/forest west of Roseburg. I have a few more pictures is these are not clear enough.

Douglas County Oregon

3 Responses

Greetings,

The first mushroom you show is likely a species of Hebeloma, possibly H. cristinulaeformae. Species of Hebeloma are poisonous and cause severe gastrointestinal distress in humans and I don't know about the effect on canines. The small mushroom is a species of Mycena: Mycena is a genus considered benign for consumption, though not all species have been tested. I don't know what the brown-orange mushroom is just from looking at the cap. The black morel-type is likely a species of Helvella which fruits at this time of year and which is also poisonous without first boiling. Morels do not fruit until spring time.
There is no available list of mushroom species from Douglas County, but the curator of the Mycological Collections at OSU might be able to get you a list from their database, though the list would only be inclusive of dried specimens sent for identification and may not be totally representative of your area. I'm glad your dogs are OK now.


Attached is the rest of the orange mushroom, and also the top of the black mushroom. Too bad the original question only allowed 3 pictures. Thanks very much for the information.

Greetings, The organge may be a species of Cortinarius, many of which are poisonous to humans: I have no data on the effects on canines. The black fungus is a species of Helvella, also poisonous unless cooked.