Annual clover seed to add nitrogen to lawn

Hi! We have put a new lawn in and the soil needs a boost of nitrogen. I've heard that planting an annual clover variety is a good way to do this. Do you recommend this course of action and if so, is there a variety of seed that works well here and will die after one season?

Kenai Peninsula Borough Alaska lawns and turf soil and fertility issues

Hello There,

I would not typically recommend the use of an annual clover as source of nitrogen fertility for a new lawn. Annual clovers may be come weedy, and you want your new lawn to have as little competition with other plant species as possible to facilitate good coverage and a high survival rate. Is this a home lawn that you will be mowing regularly? If so, it will need regular intervals of fertilizer and watering to maintain a lush green lawn. Please see the link below for more information on establishing a new lawn here in Alaska.

If you have any more questions, feel free to email me directly.

https://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publications-db/catalog/anr/HGA-00045.pdf