When a thoroughbred racehorse becomes a stud, how many years does he do this? Is 15 years cruel?

Asked February 2, 2017, 11:07 AM EST

Charismatic was sent to Japan to enter as a stud after his 2002 season as a stud in Kentucky. He was there for 15 years in Japan or more, was this appropriate or even normal? He was first entered stud at Lane's End Farm In Kentucky. They said he will return home from the Japanese Stallion stud site (my wordage) in Japan to retire at the Old Friends Equine Farm in Kentucky in October 1016. I will be calling them ASAP I am not sure if he ever made it home after so long (15 years). He ran and won The Derby and the Preakness in 1999. Please advise. He is a champion and I feel he should have been treated better than this. Why Japan? Is it cheap. I would never send a champion to Japan, damn them. I know what had happened to Ferdinand in Japan according to his owners wishes, dear God. Charismatic produced many winning prodigy but 15 years? Is this the fault of his owners Bob and Beverly Lewis. His trainer was D. Wayne Lukas was he involved with the decision? I feel it was abuse to hand Charismatic over to the Japanese? Am I wrong? Please help. A concerned lover of this horse and his sire Secretariat. Is it just cruel for him to be a stud for 15 years? Is he still alive? Need to know. Desperate. Thank you for your time.

Suffolk County New York

According to Horseracingnation.com and TheBloodhorse.com, Charasmatic recently (about 2 months ago in Dec. 2016) arrived at Old Friends Equine in Lexington, KY to live out his retirement years. He has been retired from both racing and as a stud. After winning the 1999 Derby and Preakness, he was injured in the Belmont and had a fracture that ended his racing career. He recovered, and moved on to a breeding career abroad.

It is not uncommon for an outstanding racehorse to have a second career as a stud, with the goal of producing more champions. However, it's not always that easy as genetics is only part of the equation.

Horses do sometimes move internationally for breeding. The length of time a stallion stands at stud depends on his own health. But, as long as the stallion is healthy, he can often reproduce will into his elder years. I can't answer the question of why, specifically, Charismatic went to Japan for 14 years, but it has to do with his owners, their finances and their interests. Now, Charismatic is back stateside, living in glory at Old Friends in Kentucky! I hope this helps.

I am so relieved! I am going to hold you to this. Hope you are right. Thank you. I need a picture.

Denise Selensky