Please identify this plant w/berries

I have this shrub/tree thing growing wild in my yard in Southern California. It has an abundance of small berries that I am interested in making wine out of if they are not poisonous. Please note the two different kinds of leaves, the bigger, rounder shiny ones and the serrated veiny ones. Strange that both plants hold berries that look the same, growing together in a small space.

Riverside County California

Thank you for your question. I am not familiar with this plant and I agree that you are wise to wait for a positive ID before you try to make wine with it. Since you are in a very different climate with different plants (I'm writing from Western Maryland), I would suggest you take this photo and a live sample to your local Extension office, arboretum or garden center for ID. Here is the contact information for your local Extension office:

Riverside County
Cooperative Extension Riverside County
21150 Box Springs Road, Ste 202
Moreno Valley, CA 92557-8718
Phone: (951) 683-6491
Fax: (951) 788-2615
Email: ceriverside@ucdavis.edu

I hope they are able to identify this plant for you.