Oakland Holly

I have a number of Oakland Holly trees that are growing well. They were planted three years ago and are now aboutm7ft tall. They are not putting out very many side branches. If I trim the tops will that induce lower shrub growth? If not what other options would I have? I thank youn for your response and for your knowledge.

Coweta County Georgia

Do you have any pictures that you could send of the hollies? It's difficult to make a recommendation without being able to see the trees in question. What kind of growing conditions are they in? Full sun, heavy shade? Oakland hollies have an upright growth habit, and if they are in heavy shade, then they may not be as dense as those in full sun. Proper pruning may help, but if the hollies aren't getting enough sun, then the results may not meet your expectations.
For more information on properly pruning ornamental trees, visit http://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.cfm?number=B961