Bugs in apples

Asked January 30, 2017, 10:43 AM EST

We are having trouble with bugs in our apples. I think it has been referred to as railroad rot. We have been hearing that all apples should be picked up from under the tree. A friend has a new orchard and has no problem with bugs. When I was a child I remember people talking about lime sulfur used as a spray on trees. I don't know if that is still available or not. If I would spray the ground under the tree would that help? I have a partial bag of pure sulfur in my shop that I have used around plants that prefer an acid soil and it does wonders. Or what if I would mix it with some lime? Any suggestions? Gerhald Maass 4506 240 Avenue Buffalo Center Iowa 50424

Kossuth County Iowa

Apple maggots are probably responsible for the damage to the apple crop. Apple maggots produce brown streaks in the flesh of the apple. Because of these brown streaks, the insect is often referred to as the railroad worm.

Apple maggots are difficult to control Start by removing all dropped fruit from the vicinity. If you can, tolerate the damage. If not, spray with a home orchard fruit tree spray. The most important times to spray for apple maggots are mid-June and early July. Red sticky ball traps are another option. Additional information on apple maggots can be found at the following website. http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/info/insects/flies/apple-maggot