Type of tree with bark peeling

Asked January 29, 2017, 11:03 AM EST

Hi: I do not know what king of tree is shown in the attachment but I would like to save the tree if possible. The tree bark is peeling significantly and if the tree cannot be saved or is diseased I would need to cut it down and dispose of it properly. The leaves fall late in the fall. Can you identify the tree by the attached pictures and if possible, can you make a diagnosis if you think the tree has any chance of surviving. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Don

Ramsey County Minnesota tree identification peeling bark horticulture

This is much more serious than peeling bark. The tree is severely damaged. It appears from the photos that this didn't just happen. I could guess at the type of tree and seriousness of this condition without knowing leaf shape, tree height or size of the wound but you really should have a certified arborist take a look at it face to face. They can estimate survival and/or recommend treatment.

See: http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/arboristsearch.aspx

Another alternative for finding an aborist would be to contact a garden center, of which there are several in your area.

Wishing you the best of luck in getting care for your tree.