Puppy food aggression

I have a 13 and 1/2 week old german shepherd puppy. He is usually very sweet and playful, except when he is eating. When he is eating no one can touch him or go near his food or he will growl at you. I don't know what to do.. I talked to my vet and he told me that I needed to show him who is boss by grabing his face and growling no, or by flipping himover and getting on top of him and growling no. I did this and not only did it make the problem worse but he bit me super hard and drew blood. Now he even growls at me over his water, which he has never done before. I have tried hand feeding him, which kind of works but he still grows at me and tries to bite me when I touch him. I have also tried just putting a little bit of food in his bowl each time which works, but he still growls at me when I touch him. I do not know what to do I have three little kids in the house and I don't want one of them to get bit! I love him and I want to fix the problem before something really bad happens. Please help.

Multnomah County Oregon dogs puppy

Thank you for your question for eXtension. The topic area in which you've made a request is not yet fully staffed by eXtension experts and therefore we cannot provide you with a timely answer. Instead, if you live in the United States, please consider contacting the Cooperative Extension office closest to you. Simply go to http://articles.extension.org, drop in your zip code and choose the office that is most convenient for you. We apologize that we can't help you right now, but please come back to eXtension to check in as we grow and add experts.