what is glyphosate?

Asked January 24, 2017, 11:24 AM EST

what is glyphosate--in what form can I purchase it.I am trying to kill and then control wiregrass.

Sussex County Delaware

1 Response

Glyphosate is a broad-spectrum systemic herbicide that kills most plants it comes in contact with. It is typically used in home landscapes (not vegetable or edible gardens) to eradicate from beds weeds that do not yield readily to pulling. Wire grass, also known as Bermuda grass, is a particularly hardy and stubborn grass that will take over lawns and other spaces if not controlled. There are a few targeted herbicides will suppress wire grass, including Ornamec OTT and Turflon Ester.

Because glysophate is a broad-spectrum herbicide, you must protect any plants that you do not want affected. This can be a problem if wire grass is close to desirable plants or embedded in your lawn. In any case, several treatments will be required and must be done when the wire-grass is growing.

There is a good overview of the approaches to controlling wire grass in the landscape at http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/killing-bermuda-grass.html