Would like to replant

Asked January 17, 2017, 9:59 AM EST

I have 20 acres of land in the middle of the Chippewa National Forest in northern MN. I am having about 8 acres of it logged out - targeting the old, huge poplars that are dying, breaking off - many of them fall across my 1/2 mile road at inconvenient times. The loggers are leaving as many maples, young oak, and birch, etc as possible. It is naturally pretty diverse, but thinking I might want to plan some trees/bushes for even more diversity - deer, grouse, bird, wildlife attractors (e.g. fruit trees). Any suggestions?

Itasca County Minnesota forestry natural resources wildlife habitat

Poplars (aspen) regenerate by root suckers once you harvest the trees. You may have several thousand stems of young aspen regeneration within a year following the harvest. The regenerating aspen will provide habitat for many wildlife species. Given that, you may want to wait to see what natural regeneration you get prior to considering planting anything. The following will tell you more about aspen regeneration.

forestandwildlifeecology.wisc.edu/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/84.PDF