Losing Leaves during Freeze

Asked January 17, 2017, 8:02 AM EST

My orange trees and avocado tree have now lost their leaves as a result of the recent freezing temperatures here in The Woodlands. Should I expect the trees to grow new leaves in the upcoming spring or do you think the trees are "dead" and will need to be replaced ?

Montgomery County Texas

Thank you for the question. The avocado tree may be the hardest hit. The cold snap we had consisted of 34 plus or minus hours of at or below freezing conditions. If the trees were covered or protected, they may be fine. However, we will not see any indications of that until March. The citrus, depending on the variety and root-stock are typically more hardy and will likely be fine. Just make sure to protect the trees in any future freezes. Protecting the graft union down towards the base of the trees in another important step. Let us know if you have any additional questions.. MP