How do I prune / Can I?

Asked January 5, 2017, 10:20 AM EST

Hello! I've got a very tall houseplant at home that is rapidly approaching my 11 foot ceiling. I believe what i have is the "Umbrella Plant" Schefflera actinophylla based upon trying to identify via pictures online. The two trunks are not braided and the plant is at least 35 years old. The attached picture is NOT of my plant but it seems to be the same kind. The "trunks" of mine are kind of woody where they've been there for awhile while the new growth at the top is green. My question, can I prune this back so we have more time before it hits the ceiling? If so, where and how?

Marion County Oregon

Thanks for your question about pruning your schefflera. I typically don't give advice about a specific plant unless I can see a photo of it, but you seem to have done quite a bit of research so that you're comfortable with its identification. (And, many indoor plants similar to the umbrella plant--aralia, bushy figs, etc.--tolerate similar pruning skills.)

So, here's a link to a pretty good article about umbrella plant pruning, and the multiple stems you describe are referenced in the piece. I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck!