Best Hardwood Trees & Planting Practices for Heavy Clay Soil

Asked January 4, 2017, 8:22 AM EST

My property is just east of Rutersville in Fayette County. It was farmed eons ago and doesn't have any oak trees or other quality trees. It has lots of Huisache, a few cedars, some Bois d' Arcs and Hackberry trees. I am working to improve the property by removing Huisache and others and would like some oaks and other desirable hardwoods. My preference is for Live Oaks and Mexican White Oaks.

I have decent topsoil for 6-8" then a pretty heavy and dense clay below. What hardwoods will grow best in this soil and what are the best planting practices for this soil type to improve success?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Fayette County Texas

To be honest in Fayette County we are fortunate to have a regional office for the Texas Forest Service (979)968-5556. Daniel Lewis is one of the Staff Foresters and would be a better resource than myself. I would still be happy to speak with you and help answer any questions.

I will reach out to Daniel, thank you.