Ambrosia psilostachya

Does Ambrosia psilostachya grow in Pennsylvania? Is it grown with any efficacy? Is it native. If sown from a Western seed provider, will those seeds grow in Western PA? We want to use this perennial for a food plot for dove, quail, pheasant and turkey.

Beaver County Pennsylvania seeds wildlife habitat small grains agronomy

Dear Beaver Co, PA,

Thank you for writing Extension with your Natural Resource questions. Yes, according to the USDA Plant webpage: https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=AMPS, Ambrosia psilostachya, will grow in western PA. It is also considered native in the Lower 48 and Canada. One thing I found strange at this site was their map. This plant covered the Lower 48 and Canada except the for the old colony of Virginia. Also, as you look at this page look at the wildlife tab. This plant is a 'minor' plant for terrestrial birds. If you have to pay for this plant, I might reconsider and go out and collect seed from some open fields next Autumn. If I'm paying, I want more bang for my buck. I trust this information helps you. Blessings. - Andy

Thank you for your response Andrew!