Mulberry trees

Asked December 31, 2016, 7:30 AM EST

Would there be any potential problems for growing a Persian or Pakistan mulberry tree in Fort Worth, Tx? I believe the natives are red mulberries. Will a black mulberry grow well in this area too?

Tarrant County Texas

I don't know a lot about either of them and I don't find much in the way of studies of them for Texas. What I did find lends me to believe the Pakistan variety should do ok here but really prefers a bit more acidic soil than we have in most of Tarrant County. If you have an area with good drainage it should be fine. The Persian variety would be doubtful here as it prefer a very well drained soil and much much more acidic soils than what we have plus from what I read parts of the tree are poisonous. Most of what you see native are red, the Persian is a black so I would tend to say no for our area .