Plant keeps dying

Hi, I have had 2 different planta of the same kind and each time the same thing keeps happening. The leaves are just drooping and falling off, leaving just stumps. The plants are kept watered not over watered but moist and in a fairly ambient room with good light. The pot is planted in a bigger pot with gravel at the base to allow drainage and ventilation. This is my second plant now and the exact same problem is occurring...can you help?:) The plant is 'Madagascar Dragon Tree'(Dracaena marginata) Many thanks Richard

Outside United States houseplant care

Thank you for your question about your Dracena marginata's problems. This is (or at least should be!) a very easy plant to grow. Most problems with indoor plants arise out of watering (too little or too much) or light issues. Since you say your soil is "moist," I'm guessing that you are not letting it dry out between waterings. You don't say anything about fertilizing, and your plants show signs of chlorosis (yellowing of the leaves) that means too little nitrogen.

Here's a link to a care guide for these plants. I suggest you purchase an expensive moisture probe that tells you how wet the soil is--not on top, but at root level--so you can change those habits.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!