bugs in my soil

How long dose a root aphids eggs stay viable? Or with them alive the bug without roots to live on how long do they live for ?

Oakland County Michigan insect management

There are many, many kinds of aphids. Indoors or in a greenhouse there is no egg stage for aphids- they reproduce by live birth. Outdoors some species of root aphids overwinter with an egg stage. Depending on which species of aphid, their life cycle can be from 8 to about 50 days.

First, identify which aphid you have and under what conditions--- which plants are affected, which plant roots, and what soil-- indoors, or out, in the ground or in pots or flats? You can provide some samples of aphids and eggs to MSU Diagnostic lab for identification. Then, you can proceed with control measures for that type aphid and your specific soil conditions and locations.

Here is the website where there are instructions on how to submit insect samples. Most diagnostics are free, and some have a small fee. There is also a phone number you can call if you have questions on how to send them a sample---

Here is a link to an article that discusses aphids and their managment in greenhouses---

Here is a link to an article that discusses sugar beet root aphids, one example of root aphids in field crops---

This link discusses management on houseplants---

I gave you these links for your information since I don't know the specifics of your situation. I hope this information helps. Please write us again if you have more questions.