Lawn Grass

I have a large backyard and have had it sodded at least three times. (Very expensive) My problem is that I have various large trees and consequentially not a lot of sun light for grass growth. Is there a variety of grass that I can plant that is shade tolerant? I would prefer a grass that I can seed or perhaps a liquid seed. Thx. Roger Davila

Montgomery County Texas

Thank you for the question. St. Augustine varieties are the most shade tolerant warm season turf grasses that are suited for our area. Palmetto is a little more shade tolerant than Raleigh or common St.Augustine. There are some tips that may help in addition to the grass variety. Grass needs a minimum of 6 hours of direct sunlight. Otherwise, you may have to consider adding additional landscape areas that would contain shade plants. Trees can be trimmed (thinned out) to allow more sunlight penetration. This will help the intensity of light. Also, raising the mower up 1" in shaded areas will help the grass capture more sunlight. Lastly, in shady areas, reduce water and fertilization. Grass in shady areas grows much more slowly and does not require the same amount or water or fertilization.

Let me know if I can help you any further or if you have additional questions.. Thanks again for the submission. MP