Glowing red and green things in trees

Tonight there are several green glowing spots in my dads trees. There are also a couple red ones. What are these?

Sebastian County Arkansas trees and shrubs

Very Interesting! I believe that what you are seeing is called "Foxfire". This glowing is caused by certain species of fungi that cause wood rot. These same fungi are also bioluminescent. The science behind the glowing is well-understood - you can find many websites on the interned describing the enzymes in the fungi responsible.. Although I have heard of, and seen, many cases of green glowing, I have never heard of it being red. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thanks for your submission!

Dave Appel

As a follow up, could you please let me know what kind of tree this is? I would be most interested in knowing, thanks. You can respond via this website, or email me at appel@tamu.edu.

Dave Appel

They were on three trees. 2 of them were oak. I'm honestly not sure what the other tree is.

Ok, thanks. I have never had this question before, although the phenomenon is fairly common. I can really think of no other explanation, unless someone is playing a joke on you!

Dave Appel