Has there been any progress on the production of European sea bass in Ohio? I...

Asked December 7, 2016, 10:54 AM EST

Has there been any progress on the production of European sea bass in Ohio? I have had a conversation about growing this fish with Andrew Smith. At the time there was no one doing so in the US and no enterprise budget. How are the persons in Connecticut doing raising this fish on the $40 million budget? doing? Any enterprise budgets?

Greene County Ohio freshwater aquaculture aquaculture

I don't know about Ohio but I am trying to find info about the farm in CT - since I am in CT and haven't heard of it it might take a while to find the right person. I will let you know if I find anything.

Dear Richard M. Thank you for your reply. There may be a bureau of fisheries that have to give a license for anyone to raise fish in captivity. I get the impression that a lot of the information about the specifics are closely held. I'll get an update and let you know. The single largest cost (after marketing) is the food for the fish which is traditionally scrap fish. It costs about $1200/ton. The most interesting part is the source of the baby fish. Will they come from Europe? The European sea bass is not really a bass.

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/publications/tm/tm206/tm206.pdf
This link is all I have been able to come up with through CT Extension folk. I hope it helps.

Dear Richard M.
The link you sent is about another fish! Please look up the scientific name of the European sea bass to see what I mean. I am really sorry. Maybe the information does not exist in the United States. Most of these fish are raised in wire cages in water connected to the ocean. This results in edible sized fish in eighteen months instead of thirty six in the wild. As producers became more proficient, the prices dropped forcing many into financial failure. This is why an enterprise budget is so important.
Do you work for the USDA?
Best wishes, Daniel

I work at the University of Connecticut, in dairy and livestock production, not USDA. I asked our aquaculture folks and they gave me the Black Sea Bass info. No one here seems to be doing anything on European Sea Bass. Sorry...