Cherry tree

Asked December 1, 2016, 11:48 AM EST

Attached are three pictures of my dwarf weeping cherry tree. The tree was planted 6 years ago, on the northern side of my townhome. Several weeks ago I noticed a big scar on one side of the tree, and a smaller one directly on the other side. Dark sticky substance is oozing out. There is similar protrusion at the bottom of the tree, underneath the smaller scar. CAn you advise on what it might be, is it detrimental to the tree, and if so, what can be done about it? Thank you in advance.

Anne Arundel County Maryland trees weeping cherry

Your weeping cherry has suffered some sort of mechanical damage. These are serious wounds and you cannot fix them. The best that you can do is keep it well watered when there is not enough rain. Your tree could have or get borers which will be a further problem for your tree. No chemical is going to improve the situation. vw