hydroponics

What adjustment is made to hydroponic nutrient mix at tomato flowering stage. I'm using master blend 4-18-36, mhp gardeners mix of 12g mb,12g calcium nitrate,6g Epsom salts to 5 gallon of rain water. My flowers aren't opening just falling off, but the tomato plants look great. Do I add phosphorus & potassium for flowering stage, how much ? please help. thanks.

Mike

Cambria County Pennsylvania

When tomato plants begin to flower, you want to reduce the lush vegetative growth and encourage the plant to begin fruiting.This can be achieved through several methods: 1.) by removing the suckers that develop in leaf axils 2.) by monitoring and maintaining a higher ec and 3.) reducing the nitrogen levels (especially if you have been using ammonium nitrogen) and increasing potassium. Here is a brief overview of the differing nutrient mixes for stages of tomato development: http://cals.arizona.edu/hydroponictomatoes/nutritio.htm.

Also, if the flowers are not being fertilized at all, this could be due to low temperature and light conditions that are preventing fertilization and fruit set, and not necessarily a specific nutrition issue.