Large, stump mushroon

Asked November 29, 2016, 5:10 PM EST

What's the name of this guy? Edible? Thanks, Lance Wade

Lane County Oregon mushrooms

1 Response

This appears to be Laetiporus conifericola, once known as Polyporus sulphureus, but it looks very old. L. conifericola is edible when growing on conifers; if it is growing on a hardwood, then it is probably Laetiporus sulfureus which causes stomach upset in some people. I don't advise people to eat mushrooms without consulting a field guide or have it examined by an expert. Also, some people have individual allergies to mushrooms which are eaten without a problem by other, non-allergic individuals.