Lighweight aphids (I'm calling them) that live on my house plants.

Asked November 27, 2016, 11:46 AM EST

I've tried a soapy water spray to rid my plants of these flighty crazy flying aphids, but they return when the water dries. I would like to spray them with some kind of insecticide, but can't find any in the store. They seem to like the soil in my flowerpots. I don't want to get rid of my plants, but they are getting too annoying when they fly in my face.

Chenango County New York insect control

Thanks for your question. It is really difficult to identify and recommend insecticides without a photo of the actual insect(s). However, there are some insecticides that are approved for use on indoor plants (although the label instructions indicate they should be applied outdoors, and then brought in after they have dried.) Both neem oil and insecticidal soaps fall into this category, and are organic. However, since they essentially 'suffocate' the insect, they have no effect after they have dried. Here's a link to a thorough Clemson University article on house plant insects and their control

Hope it's helpful.