Managing amaryllis

Asked November 21, 2016, 6:01 AM EST

I live in the Gulf coast of Texas (presently visiting relatives in Ohio), some 60 miles SW of Houston, TX (about 25 miles from the coastline), where I grow amaryllis outdoors. The temp rarely gets below 30 degrees F, so the amaryllis(am) are never removed from the soil, except to thin them. They are grown in raised beds, and sometimes the leaves never die. My question is: Can I transplant the am into pots for friends and relatives in OH, KY and GA? If so, can I trim the leaves (after blooming) and /or the roots when transplanting into pots? Both the leaves and roots are quite long and cumbersome to handle, transport and manipulate otherwise. Thank you for any information regarding this issue. Randall Q Storm

Brazoria County Texas

Amaryllis can be transplanted into pots, just make sure you have a big enough pot. I wouldn't force a big bulb into a small pot.

I would only recommend trimming the roots and leaves under special circumstances. For optimal transport survival and increased chance of flowering next year, it’s best to transplant the plants when they have died back from frost and/or dormant. It’s also best to get as much of the roots as you can.

But, as you mentioned, Houston doesn’t often get that cold. I would still recommend transplanting in the winter, during a period when the plants are not actively growing. Trim the leaves if you must, but try to trim as little of the roots as possible. Trimming the leaves and roots may lead to the plant not flowering next year. Fortunately, amaryllis is hardy, so trimming the roots and leaves shouldn’t decrease its chances of survival. It might be easier, especially if you have smaller pots, to plant new bulbs or bulblets(from your own plants) than mature amaryllises.

Thank you Elizabeth. Your answer is quite helpful. By the way, in one bed, year before last, I had over 70 amaryllis blooms at one time. Rather spectacular. Some stalks had five blooms....caused them to droop to the ground.
Randall Storm