Pumpkin Preservation

Is there any way of preserving pumpkins intact such as a spray or coating that would prevent them from rotting inside? I grew 3 very interesting pumpkins this year and would like to enjoy them longer. I brought them into the house; perhaps, keeping them in the basement where it is cooler would help this process.(?) I worked hard to grow them since the vines were attacked by squash borers which I physically eliminated (30+ borers removed). So, I was excited to reap my harvest. Thank you, Linda

Hennepin County Minnesota

Cooler temperatures will help keep them longer as will wiping the outside with a mild bleach solution to destroy and fungi. However, these pumpkins are meant to be eaten when they are ripe and if you don't do so, they will rot. Try doing a Google search for Fresh Pumpkin Recipes. You will find information on how to bake them and prepare the flesh for use. You can then use part of it and freeze the rest if you wish. I made Pumpkin Bread, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and a pumpkin pie from one large fresh pumpkin this year. All were delicious.