Winterizing Shrub Roses (1st year)

What do I have to do to protect my shrub rose? It's really doing well for the first year and I don't want it to die over the winter.

Carver County Minnesota winter protection shrub roses horticulture

Thank you for the question. Shrub roses are typically very hardy and require no special care to survive the winter although some can be more tender. Identify the hardiness of your particular rose by looking at the label, calling the nursery where purchased, or looking up on-line.
If your shrub is one of the Minnesota hardy ones, all you need to do is make sure it is watered well before the soil freezes and clean up all plant debris around it to prevent overwintering insects and disease.
Read this publication (even though it's from Nebraska Extension, the information is useful for us here) to learn more about protecting more tender roses if you're not sure how hardy your rose bush is:

Thank you for contacting Extension.