Pasture rodents

Asked November 14, 2016, 8:22 AM EST

I need help identifying and eliminating the animal digging holes in my pasture. The holes are too small to be groundhogs so I'm thinking voles, but don't know for sure. The hole openings are about 4-6" wide, usually occurring in clusters of 3-4 together and seldom with dirt deposited next to the hole. Many of the holes are at least 3 feet deep and there are hundreds of them! I have never seen the animal make an appearance and have tried putting anticoagulant rodenticide bait labeled for mice and voles down the holes, but new holes keep appearing, usually next to the ones I've just filled in with gravel. There are so many holes at this point the ground is quite unstable and the horses sometimes just sink into the ground if they step near a hole - not good!

Roane County Tennessee horses wildlife damage management pastures and forages horse pasture

Thank you for your question. I really need more information to make a recommendation. I think the best course of action will be for you to contact your local Extension office. The ag agent there is Jessica Wilkinson, and you can contact her at 865-376-5558, or jwilki21@utk.edu. She will likely need really good photos or she may want to make a farm visit. The office is located at 3074 Roane State Hwy, in Harriman. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.