Lawn Woes

I have a problem with the front lawn in my Richfield home. Late this past summer, a sizable spot seemed to just dry up and die. I have an underground sprinkler system (plus the wet fall) leads me to believe it is something else. When the tech came to shut down my sprinkler system for the season, he said it was either stress or grubs. He suggested I go easy on the raking this fall and next spring on that spot and then have it examined. Your thoughts? I have included 2 recent photos. Thanks so much. Dan Smieja

Hennepin County Minnesota lawns

Was a chemical spilled in the lawn? Was there an accident with nitrogen fertilizer and too much was applied? Grub damage usually makes it possible to peel up the turf because the grubs eat away the roots. It is hard to imagine water stress in one small spot, and water stress this fall, rain was falling several times a week. Scalping could be the cause. For a list of possible causes of lawn damage and more information please see the fact sheet.
http://plantscience.psu.edu/research/centers/turf/extension/factsheets/diagnosing-problems