Why is my orange juice fermenting?

Asked November 12, 2016, 6:57 AM EST

I buy frozen concentrate, I mix as directed and within 3-4 days it has started to ferment. I take the frozen concentrate out of the freezer and let it melt in about 6 hours and mix with cold water and it does it every time. My frig temp is constant 36-40 degrees, the container is a reused orange juice container with a screw on lid. In 3 days you can hear a little "pft" when you open the container after shaking and gets worse from there. Why is this happening and is the juice safe to drink?

Pasquotank County North Carolina

I think the melting is causing the issue if you are doing this at room temperature you are allowing the organisms to get into the juice and the natural sugars in the juice are fermenting. I recommend taking the frozen juice out of the can / container and placing it in the pitcher with the recommended amount of water and mixing it. The water will allow it to thaw quickly and it should reduce the fermentation process. All the time you leave the juice at room temperature when you take it out of the refrigerator will also contribute to the fermentation process. So keeping the juice cold at all times is the most important step.

Actually I take the frozen concentrate out of the freezer and put it into the refrigerator, that's why it takes about 6 hours to thaw. I have tried taking it directly from the freezer and putting it into the cold water and this will give it about 1 extra day before it starts to ferment. I have been following the same procedure for years and I am at a loss as to why this is happening. It has only started doing it in the past 4-5 months. I am going to change from the brand I have always used (Minute Maid) to a different brand.