Quack grass

At the end of the summer we got numerous tufts of quack grass. Some are as big as a dinner plate and some the size of a salad plate? Yuk Yuk Yuk!! I am slightly aware of the strong and massive rhizomes. Whether we dig it or kill it with Round Up, is it better to kill now or in the spring? Kathy

Hennepin County Minnesota quackgrass weed removal horticulture

Do it now. If it actually is quack grass, you won't be able to dig it out. Any little section of root left in the soil will sprout a new plant. The grass is taking everything down into the roots now in prep for winter and Round Up will be absorbed better.

Thank you Barbara for the quick response and information. We actually bought a large thing of Round Up. But, my husband isn't excited for applying it, and the brown spots it leaves. (We know we'll fix the spots in the spring.) Also, he doesn't want to do anymore Fall chores! (I'm not allowed to do it, because I'd do too much or get it on my clothes and shoes!! ha ha) He just read your response. Maybe he'll believe me now that it needs to be stopped. Sure took over fast. Sad. As I wrote in my question, Yuk! Yuk! Yuk!

Thanks again! You guys are the best and I appreciate this place to ask questions.

Kathy

It may help if you mention to your husband that it will continue to send out more roots until the ground freezes solid. You're welcome.