Raised Garden soil enhancement

Asked November 11, 2016, 10:41 AM EST

I have two raised garden boxes that are 8ft x 16ft and 4ft x 16ft respectively. Both beds are about 18" deep. I have had them in place for a few years and it seems that the soil needs to be enhanced. Can you tell me the best way to do this over the winter so that I will have better luck with my spring garden? I have added organic material such as grass clippings and compost over the years but I guess I did it at the wrong time or did not apply enough.

Brazos County Texas

Always important to add organic matter a couple of times a year- preferably in the form of a finished compost. In vegetable production, it is often necessary to apply fertilizer as well. If you've not done so in the last couple years, we suggest you have a soil test done and then, can know for certain the level of nutrients. Our local lab is easy to access to drop off samples - go to their website for a submital form, costs and instructions. http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/
Soil, Water and Forage Testing Laboratory
2610 F&B Road College Station, Texas 77845
phone: 979.845.4816