Excessive Magnesium in Soil

Asked November 11, 2016, 10:26 AM EST

Hi, I have received a soil sample, and, for the fourth year in a row, it marks my magnesium as "excessive." For what it is worth, the index value on the chart is marked "379." I also have a very acidic soil - 5.6 pH - so I am planning on putting lime in sometime in the next week or two as I shut my garden down. I have not been able to figure out how much of a concern - if at all - excessive magnesium is. I have a bag of dolomitic lime which I am planning on putting down, but if excessive magnesium is a problem, I will probably need to switch to something else. Do I need to be worried about this? If so, is there anything I can do about it - or should? Thank you,

Prince George's County Maryland soil magnesium

Dolomitic limestone contains calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.
It would be best to apply agricultural limestone, a finely granulated calcitic limestone. It is easier to apply in the pelletized form. Follow label directions.