Peach seedlings from pits

I got a bucket of peaches for compost and decided to try and grow some trees from the pits. I planted 3-4 pits in 6 different holes. To my surprise 2 to 4 of them produced seedlings that are 15"- 18" tall. Now do I need to dig them up and separate the seedlings and replant them individually? If so how and when does this need to happen.

Cherokee County Georgia

Hi,

You can transplant them into pots now or early spring. If you do it now try to provide some protection from extreme cold and drying winds. Try to remove as much of the original root system as possible and pot them up so that the first roots are 1/4-1/2" below the soil level.

I will caution that peaches grown from seed are not true to type, meaning they will not necessarily produce a fruit that is identical to the fruit that it came from. But it is still a fun experiment.

Best,

Thanks so much for your response. I think it was Stephanie Norris who recently told me you were awesome! I was able to separate them all and get most of the root system. We will see if they survive.

I had read the info you included about the quality of fruit from a tree grown from seed. It has been an experiment and I'm enjoying the process!