Attendance at a Planning Commission or ZBA Hearing

Asked November 9, 2016, 8:42 AM EST

I thought I had read that it isn't appropriate for a Township Official to attend a hearing at either the Planning Commission or the Zoning Board of Appeals. Can you let me know if I am correct?

Iosco County Michigan community planning and zoning local officials zoning board of appeals

I am not aware of a restriction that prevents officials from attending these meetings. However, participating in these meetings may be a different issue. Depending on the local ordinance, some planning commission cases may not go to the township officials. So, some of these officials do come to planning commission meetings to be aware of the cases under review. The real issue would be if the case is going to the township officials for final consideration such as special conditions use hearing (depending on the ordinance) or if the appeal to the ZBA is from some action that was taken by the township officials.

Have a wonderful day.