harvesting scions

Asked November 6, 2016, 1:09 AM EDT

I live in northern Ontario and love to graft apple trees. My problem is this. In procuring scion wood off my favourite varieties, I read that these should be harvested in around February when the tree is dormant and kept refrigerated until grafted. But I spend the winter in Florida and I only arrive in the early April.The buds on my tree have not yet swelled in my area. Is it possible to harvest the scion wood at that time and graft it? I am thinking that the scions have had a good imitation of winter dormancy and that it might be ok.I cant buy scionwood here in the United States since it is not permited to bring them back to Canada.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me with this question.

Outside United States grafting fruit trees apple scions

When budding and grafting woody plants, the scions must be collected when dormant and, then, maintained in that state until used. Because you seem to have specific trees in mind as the source of the scions, I suggest you recruit a friend, neighbor, or other gardener who will act on your behalf. An alternative would be to purchase scionwood from a reliable source.

See “Orchard Grafting Methods” http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/98-005.htm