Are these mushrooms poisonous?

Asked November 4, 2016, 12:53 PM EDT

What are these mushrooms? I've just moved, and no doubt my dog will try to eat one. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer. -Tracey

Multnomah County Oregon mushrooms

3 Responses

Greetings,

I usually need to see the underside of the mushroom to determine what it might be. The center photo may be a poisonous mushroom, Paxillus involutus, but again I would need to see the underside gills. It is advisable not to let dogs eat any mushrooms in the wild as their physiology is quite different than outs, and a mushroom edible to a human might be poisonous to a dog. For instance, Ibuprofen is safe for humans but very toxic to dogs.

Thanks Steve C for the quick response. The underside of the mushrooms have gills, perhaps this will help to id them. I would never let my pets eat mushrooms, but dogs don't always listen to reason when it comes to eating. Besides in my grass, there seems to be a lot of mushrooms all through the Kenton area of Portland.

-Tracey

Actually, in this case, it comes down to what the gills look like and how they are attached to the stem to get the identification. It's moot at this point anyway.

Enjoy your day.