Root Pruning Green Ash Tree

Asked November 3, 2016, 5:24 PM EDT

I have a Green Ash tree, approx. 16"dia., growing about 18'' from my paved driveway and the roots are up lifting my driveway causing significant cracking. Should the root(s) be pruned close to the trunk of the tree? It may seriously impact the tree and could it become more susceptible the Green Ash borer and storm damage?

Ramsey County Minnesota

> Should the root(s) be pruned close to the trunk of the tree?

No

> It may seriously impact the tree

Yes

> and could it become more susceptible the Green Ash borer and storm damage?

Yes to both.

Not a good thing to do. Unfortunately, emerald ash borer is in Ramsey County right now, as you probably know. Unless a successful treatment is found, your tree is in danger regardless. You, of course, do not want to make the situation worse.

I have seen small sections of driveways replaced with a gravel mix to deal with this issue. It looks quite attractive. Not knowing what your driveway is like, this may or may not be an option. A 16" trunk implies a large specimen. Hopefully you can solve the driveway problem without hurting your tree. We are losing so many lovely ash. Perhaps a landscape designer could propose a unique way to modify that section of drive. They sometimes suggest ideas we don't ever think of.

Best of luck.