Shrub identification

Asked November 2, 2016, 1:51 PM EDT

This is a very tall multi-trunk shrub I think a viburnum or euonymous the leaves of which turn red in the fall - it is NOT the burning bush - but what is it?!

Arapahoe County Colorado

You're right, it is not Burning Bush Euonymus (Euonymus alata).

But it is a Euonymus...... fruit and twigs suggest it is European euonymus, also known as Spindle Tree (Euonymus europaeus). I'm guessing with 90% assurance that is it. I'd need close-up photos of buds, leaf edges, twigs and fruits to be sure.

Spindle tree fruits are attractive, pink with orange seeds. They look like "pink popcorn".

Spindle tree is a bit invasive, re-seeding itself readily.

Yes, you are so right about the fruit - am attaching pix of that and of the bush in its full glory - the others were taken about 10 days ago - it belongs to my neighbor but I benefit from my living room window!
Thank you,
Sarah

The Spindle tree leaves are not quite as brilliant red as those of Burning bush in fall. But the pink fruits kind of make up for that? Photos below. Be watchful for seedlings growing where you don't want them, as the spindle tree is invasive.

Hello again:
Thanks for the two emails you sent today - yes, you have answered all my questions and I know that the spindle tree does tend to germinate shoots from the seeds but they are very easy to pull up if caught early. It is certainly worth the fall color and the squirrels and birds agree!
Sarah Hodge
Englewood, CO