pavlova

can you please give me a good recipe for making pavlova at 7,200 ft. I have read several recipes and they all are different.

many thanks...jean

Santa Fe County New Mexico high altitude food preparation

Hello Jean.....baking at high altitude does take some experimenting as well as adjusting. Please don't get frustrated in your search. I can share with you that when I moved to Colorado from the mid-west I found that when I used the internet to search for recipes from high altitude bed and breakfast or resorts that would share some of their delicious creations online to encourage people to come to their establishment for good food and a great time. You might try that in your search for a recipe that will work at your altitude....Hope this helps you out! Anne

Australian Pavlova Recipe – High Altitude

Ingredients:

6 egg whites (be careful not to crack any yolk into your egg whites)

2 cups sugar (castor sugar or fine sugar)

4 tablespoons corn flour (corn starch)

6 tablespoons boiling water

2 teaspoons vanilla essence

2 tablespoons white vinegar

Method:

Place all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 15-20 minutes or until very stiff. When you pull the beaters out, the mixture should stand up in stiff peaks. This may take 30 minutes or longer in high altitude.

Place baking paper on a baking tray, lightly dust with corn flour, and pile meringue mixture on top of baking paper. Pile the mixture up high and do not spread out, as the pavlova will spread while cooking. Create ridges up the side of the mixture using a fork.

Place pavlova in the middle of a cold oven. Do not preheat oven. Turn the oven on to 250 degrees

F. Cook for two hours. Turn oven off and leave the pavlova in the oven, with door closed overnight, or until the oven is cold. This will take at least 6-8 hours. Do not open the oven at any point during the cooking or cooling process, as it may cause the pavlova to fall.

Once pavlova has been removed from the oven, cut around the top of the pavlova with a sharp knife, and allow the top to drop into the pavlova. This forms a shell for the cream. Fill with fresh whipped cream and decorate with fresh fruit; strawberries, mixed berries, kiwi fruit, and grated chocolate.

Whipped Cream:

Beat one pint of heavy whipping cream with one tablespoon of sugar (castor sugar or fine sugar) until stiff peaks form. Pour whipped cream into pavlova shell, and decorate with fresh fruit and grated

chocolate.