Wild mushrooms

Asked October 27, 2016, 3:08 PM EDT

I'm looking for a way to verify a variety of mushroom. This is the common metal mushroom Agaricus campestris correct? Edible! Yes?

Multnomah County Oregon

1 Response

This is a species of Agaricus but is probably not Agaricus campestris, as that mushroom doesn't produce such a well developed annulus (ring) on the stalk. If it has the odor of phenol, it is likely one of a group of poisonous species which cause severe gastrointestinal distress if eaten. You should consult the book "Mushrooms Demystified" or "All that the Rain promises and More" for more information. I can't tell which species you have over the internet.