Question on tree near my septic drain field

I have built a new home and when the builder cleared the lot, I had them leave an old shag bark hickory on my property. They actually put the septic drain field about 50-60 ft from the base of the tree. I am now concerned that the roots may begin to invade the drain field and clog it. Would it be advisable to cut this tree down to be sure this doesn't happen or does this species generally not spread their roots that far? Thank you

Frederick County Maryland trees septic drain field tree near septic field

Hickories are not a tree that aggressively seeks water. While the roots of any tree can reach out 1 1/2 times the height of the tree, the biggest concentration of roots cluster where the drip line, or edge, of the leaf canopy is. You will probably not have a problem, but we cannot guarantee that.

Here is a link that should prove helpful with your decision: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/landscaping/landscaping-septic-systems/