Oceanside replacement

My neighbor is removing 3 tall pines and a couple of Alders to improve our view. We would like to replant something that doesn't grow over 12' tall and would provide a screen from our yards but be tolerant of high winds and salty environs. We are a few blocks back from the beach. I had thought of possibly camelia's? or?

Tillamook County Oregon horticulture

As you chose plants it is wise to keep in mind that plants in our area tend to grow taller and wider than most plant tags suggest. Since you are looking for a plants that do not require frequent pruning I would avoid laurel although it grows fast.

Here in Tillamook one of the more popular shrubs is Escallonia, which is a nice evergreen that does not get many disease or insect problems. It is often grown fairly close together (about 6' apart) and then let grow in its natural shape.

I have included a list of plants from a Washington nursery that may fit your needs: https://www.cloudmountainfarmcenter.org/pdf-guides/PlantsforProblemPlaces_SaltSpray.pdf