Nutrition Action Newsletter

Have you an opinion on the accuracy of the Nutrition Action Healthletter, published by the Center for Science in the Public Interest? How actually "scientific" are they? I'm a label reader from the word go - a result of my classes at ISU! I also tend to be a doubting Thomasina. Thanks, Sharon Edmonds

Minnehaha County South Dakota human nutrition nutrition

Hi,
Somehow this question got routed to us in Oregon. Is there a link to this newsletter you could send us? That would help to determine the best expert to sent it to.

Thanks,

The link would be www.NutritionAction.com

Thanks, Sharon Edmonds

Hi Sharon,

The Center for Science in the Public Interest is a non-profit organization that identifies themselves as a consumer advocacy organization whose twin missions are to conduct innovative research and advocacy programs in health and nutrition, and to provide consumers with current, useful information about their health and well-being. In looking through a few of their articles in their health newsletter, it appears that they use credible sources, such as the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics. However, sometimes I think the advocacy 'spin' that they may need to put on their articles can sometimes be misleading or confusing for consumers.

The Consumer and Patient Health Information Section (CAPHIS) of the Medical Library Association (MLA) has a committee which evaluates and selects its Top 100 Web sites for health consumers. See http://caphis.mlanet.org/consumer/index.html. It does not appear to list the Center for Science in the Public Interest, but it does have a large number of other resources that you might find helpful.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help with.
Sincerely,