zinc sulfate on peach trees

Interesting to find this after my recent visit to Palisade, CO after my nephew's wedding in Dillon. Grew apples and some plums/pears/sour cherries/raspberries at Gibbsville Orchard, Sheboygan Co, WI for 15 years. Now have 35 acres four miles SW as a "hobby". Soil is 7-7.3/7.5 pH. Have read that sulfur is good to apply to prevent leaf curl after leaf fall and before bud break. In reading the site from Co State, it suggests a tablespoon zinc sulfate to a gallon water. Could you recommend a good source of zInc sulfate if indeed you agree with this remedy? Apparently, the zinc(and sulfur help with the rather high pH conditions(?).....Also(as a snowbird), am growing citrus in Arizona on a small scale with quite a bit of success. See pic of my front yard grapefruit that I (believe or not) planted in the sixties as a kid in Wisconsin and grew in sort of bonsai form in my parents house for 40+ years. First delicious gf this past spring! Once fruit growing gets in your blood, it never leaves.

Mike Czysh

Waldo, WI

Sheboygan County Wisconsin peach leaf curl peach trees horticulture

Hello, Mike!

First, this would be a great resource for you regarding when to spray for what: https://ag.purdue.edu/hla/Hort/Documents/ID-465.pdf

This Midwest Fruit Tree Spray Guide explains exactly when to spray for exactly what you're dealing with ... and provides quantities and types, too! It looks like a copper spray is best for leaf curl (and keep in mind, it requires really good coverage of leaves).

Having grown up in California, I miss the citrus trees everywhere! It's far easier to grow fruits in the West ... so enjoy all the grapefruits you can get!

Cheers!

Thanks, Christy for your response. Mike C